Thursday, July 24, 2014

Camouflage or Truth

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.  Against such things there is no law" Galatians 5:22-23

My husband has a sense of humor.  One morning he came up to me dressed in full camouflage.  His t-shirt was one type of camouflage and his long pants another.  "How do I look", he smiles.  I stifle a laugh.  He then asks me; "what picture do you see?".  I squint my eyes, thinking, are we playing Where's Waldo?  Try as I may I couldn't see anything.  "So what do you see?"  Finally I blurt out, "I see confusion"!!!!!!

I went back to my devotions.  Reading Galatians 5, I wondered how others might view me.  Do they need to squint to see the real me, or am I hiding so much under all my type of camouflage?  How am I portraying Christ to them?  Do I display the fruit of the Spirit through my life?  Do others see love, joy, goodness and kindness when I am helping someone or doing ministry?  Or do my actions say one thing and my heart reflecting  something else?  When I'm dealing with family, do they see patience and gentleness; or do they hear sharp criticisms followed by rolling eyes?  When faced with a trial, do I walk in faithfulness and peace, reflecting my faith in HIM?  Do I exhibit self control when circumstances are frustrating and out of my control!  Camouflage or truth.  Camouflage or faith.

Galatians tells me that I am free (verse 1), free of yokes that keep me from living a life full of the fruit of the Spirit.  Verse 23b tells me there is no limit to how much I can display the fruit of the Spirit in my life.  But I must guard against following the desires of my flesh (verse 16) .  We must walk in the Spirit and live Spirit filled lives even when those around me are ugly.

Will you join me in making a promise not to hide behind or under a yoke.  No camouflage for us.  Let us put on our Shields of Faith, and carry the Sword of Truth and live our lives serving one another as Christ served.  Love as HE loved unconditionally.  Persevere in faith, goodness, kindness and gentleness.  Let the world see an abounding joy and peace from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment