Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fear Not

After 24 or is it 25 days at Queen's Hospital, we are finally in our own home - the three of us - Tex, Me and Brooke!  Yes Brooke is home!! And the words from Isaiah 41:10 ring out loud and clear "Do not Fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand".  The day we have been anticipating is finally here !

What a day it's been.  We tried to make this transition as smooth as possible for Brooke.  The less stress the better but the world had other plans.  We left Queen's with much stuff and paperwork and to find out we had to stop at the pharmacy to pick up medicine for that night!  What happened to giving you all the medicine as you left (am I dating myself).  Or how about this thought - can you call the prescriptions to the pharmacy so we won't have to wait? Can't do that the "doctor" has left the hospital - there are no other doctors to do this - yikes - in a hospital?  Our whole concern was we live far away and only had a 2 hour oxygen tank for Brooke.  What's a person to do? Stress level rising - not good for anyone especially Brooke.  Calm down remember who is in charge.  Fear Not.

The pharmacy tried their best but after 40 minutes we finally were headed home to meet the Respiratory Company to set up her room.  This was suppose to be done the day before BUT they couldn't make it out and so today with Brooke in hand we arrive home to another hectic situation. The mantra from medical staff to respiratory company is "Do not panic, remain calm"! I am wondering if they thought all this "doing" was going to calm Brooke?  Brooke eats a great salad for lunch while Tex and the respiratory technician set up the room.  There are boxes and boxes of things all over the bed, machines, tubes etc.  Brooke got really tired and we had to clear off the bed to let her rest.  Then the  "fun" began....her saturation rate went down to 67 and she "asked" to be bagged (put oxygen through her while squeezing a bag).  Not her favorite but she couldn't get air no matter what we tried.  I could see her stress level rising!   The room was extremely hot even with the air conditioner on and as the respiratory tech was helping us out Brooke asked to be put on the ventilator!!! That's when I knew that she was really in distress.

I don't want to bore you with all the rest that happened but I will say this - if you want someone who is ill to come home to a stress free environment then you have got to take the bull by the horns and speak up.  Fear Not!!!

We are all alone as I type this at 7:06.  Can't seem to get enough oxygen to her through the oxygen machine they left.  Her saturation rate keeps falling and we have had to put her on the ventilator again!
Fear Not do not be Dismayed - I take dismayed as don't get discouraged.  Please pray that all this will pass smoothly.  She was doing so well at the hospital and we don't want to take steps back.  She has already shed tears and it breaks my heart.  I am saying over and over again "I uphold you with my righteous right hand" - dear Lord hold tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment