Friday, January 6, 2017

The Comfort of Traditions

January 2017

This year my husband is making specific storage cabinets to put all our Christmas decorations.  I am organizing them (which I love to do) before the cabinets are done.  Stockings in one bin, creche's in another, etc.  After 40 years of marriage, I have a lot of Christmas things, but I love them all.  As I am going through all my things, I am remembering who gave me this one, who made that one and I recall specific memories.  This year I realized the stockings we hang are very narrow so the stocking gifts couldn't quite fit into each one.  I mentioned on Christmas Day that next year I was going to retire Trey and Brooke's stockings, which they've had since they were toddlers, and get new ones.  A resounding NO came from both of them.

Sometimes we think our kids (even if they're adults), don't take seriously or cherish these traditions we put so much effort into.  But they do!  My kids, who are no different than yours, have realized traditions bring stability and comfort.  They look forward to traditions because in a chaotic world they bring them peace, joy, and hope.

Don't give up on your traditions.  If you don't have any yet, think of ways you can incorporate some into your families lives - not only at Christmas or thanksgiving. This year I heard women tell me it's too much trouble, or they want their children to focus more on Jesus.  You don't have to give up Jesus because you decorate a tree, bake cookies, shop for gifts, or fill stockings.  We make Jesus a big part of our Christmas.  We read the Christmas story before we open one gift or take one bite of Christmas dinner.  When our children were younger, we would read the Christmas story several times a week before Christmas Day.  We now have our niece, who is the youngest child in our family, read the story of the Candy Cane after Christmas dinner.  We play Christmas games that include bible trivia and along with Here Comes Santa Claus (which always gets laughs), we sing many Christmas Carols about Jesus.

Traditions are good, healthy for the soul and mind.  I hope you're putting some into your families lives.  You will see how your children will enjoy them!  It solidifies a family.

Note:  If you come from a family who never had any such tradition- think of the possibilities you can enjoy.  If you come from a family who had some less than desirable type of traditions, put them behind you and start some new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment